1. Eat more foods with sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes.
- Sweets will help calm your nervous system and nourish your tissues. Examples include grains, nuts, milk, dates, and most fruits.
- Bitter foods will help cleanse the liver and tone your organs. Examples include lettuces, spinach, dandelion, and aloe vera.
- Astringent foods will help you absorb water and tighten your tissues. Examples include asparagus, legumes, green teas, and pomegranates.
2. Hydrate! Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day to replenish moisture lost in the heat of the day as well as to help flush out toxins in the body. Here are a few ways to drink more water and stay hydrated:
- Herbal tea: Add 1 tsp. fennel, cumin, cardamom, and coriander seeds in equal parts to 3 cups hot water, plus a handful of mint leaves, and organic sugar to taste.
- Flavored water: Add a few slices of cucumber or a squeeze of lime to your water.
- Cocount water: so simple and delicious, and thankfully now readily available
3. Protect and nourish your skin. At least once a week, treat yourself to a fruit or vegetable mask.
- Simple facial mask: Cucumbers, avocados, or papayas lend themselves well to homemade masks. Simply mash one of these ingredients and apply to face for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- More complex facial formula: Mix together one-half of a mashed banana, ½ cup yogurt, and 1 tbsp honey. Apply to face. Leave on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Simple hydrating mask: Apply local organic honey to your face. Leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
4. Communicate with care. To prepare for the pitta season, when heat can push one’s tendencies toward anger and frustration, consider a few new tools and resources to diffuse anger.
- Meditation: Start your day with a Loving-kindness Meditation.
- Check out the Non-Violent Communication website for resources on naming feelings and needs. www.cnvc.org
- Book a session with Alejandra Siroka (special guest for the summer Seasonal Ayurveda and Yoga Immersion this July) and learn about Language Alchemy.
- Take a few deep breaths before responding to stressful situations.
Stay tuned for next months tips on how to Stay Cool and Be Cool This Summer season.